Jul 22, 2011

Vale, Lucian Freud

"Working at Night" photograph of Lucian Freud by David Dawson
“My work is purely autobiographical…It is about myself and my surroundings. I work from people that interest me and that I care about, in rooms that I know…When I look at a body it gives me choice of what to put in a painting, what will suit me and what won’t. There is a distinction between fact and truth. Truth has an element of revelation about it. If something is true, it does more than strike one as merely being so.”
Lucian Freud


Lucian Freud has died at 88. Grandson of Sigmund Freud, this extraordinary artist had been called the greatest living realist painter.

I love his work - his direct gaze, wondrous buttery nudes, confronting sections and full view of human life.

"Sleeping Head", Lucian Freud, 1979-80 


As a psychodynamic therapist, I admire and am fascinated by Sigmund Freud's ideas and practice. His daughter Anna Freud was also an incredible therapist and academic. Yet to be one of the Freuds AND an incredible artist...what a combination. Makes me sad not to know that family from up close.

Portrait of Francis Bacon, Lucien Freud
If you'd like to see more of Lucian's life, go to The Guardian here. To see more of his pictures, go to a pdf here.

For the three parts of a wonderful documentary from film-maker Jake Auerbach and Freud's biographer William Feaver, see below. 


NUDITY is a large feature of his work, so don't watch if this may offend. The third part opens with a shot of male nude painting and is visible below...so caution if this concerns you.







Enjoy - what do you think of his work?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...